by Tom Helvick
Welcome to our weekly edition of the Dev Digest where we put together the best links to help you stay on top of what’s happening in the world of software and web development. From top stories to development tips, professional advice, and more, we’ve collected the best articles, stories, and videos of the week from across the web. Now let’s get to it.
Five Critical Factors — To Consider When Estimating Software Costs
Many software projects end badly: late, over-budget or simply canceled. In our Software Estimation Executive Brief, we share our proven strategies for dealing with the challenges of software development cost estimation.
- Leaders who choose to ignore these factors upfront are invariably confronted by problems they cause during the project development process when it is more costly — both in time and money — to fix. Learn the Five Factors
- Tell your nosy neighbor to move aside and make room for a new pro. Scientists have used an AI algorithm to read an unopened letter written 300 years ago — without breaking its seal. Read Article
Configuring MongoDB Connectors…
- The common approach of MongoDbFactory to configure multiple MongoDB Connectors in Spring Boot has been deprecated in Spring Data MongoDB 3.x. Not to worry, here’s an updated approach that will have you back on track. Read Article
A Lesson in What Not To Do…
- A lesson for developers on how not to maintain the security and code transparency of a website can be found in the recent hacking of the social media website Gab. Read Article
- Stuck in a state of low motivation? Setting your sights on a purpose bigger than yourself may be the ticket to regaining your productive edge. Read Article
Remote Work Confessions…
- From sneaking into the office to escape your family to whether it’s polite to eat on Zoom calls, Wired tackles a few of the confessions and challenges that come with a remote work environment. Read Article